From integrated and freestanding to slimline and full-sized, this guide will help you through the process of finding the right type of dishwasher for you. Dishwashers can be a useful appliances to have in any home, especially in busy households, saving you the time and effort of washing dishes by hand. We’ll give you all the information you need to help you decide which machine is best for you.
Freestanding vs integrated
Firstly, you’ll need to decide on the type of dishwasher fit you’d like for your home. You should consider whether you’d like the dishwasher to be on show and or integrated into the your current kitchen units.
Freestanding dishwashers will stand independently, with the exterior and control panel exposed. They can be placed underneath a worktop or anywhere where there's a water connection and a drainage point.
Integrated dishwashers are fully built into your kitchen units. They’ll be hidden behind a cupboard door which will give a more unified look. The control panel sits on the top lip of the door, giving you easy access when choosing your dishwasher program.
Full Size vs Slimline
Both full-size and slimline dishwashers are around 55-60cm deep and 55cm tall.
Full-size dishwashers are 60cm wide and should fit roughly 120-150 items of crockery and cutlery, or 12+ place settings (some machines with larger capacities can fit up to 16 place settings). This size is ideal for larger households.
Slimline models are 45cm wide and will fit about eight to nine place settings. When space is limited in your kitchen, a slimline machine can be a great option.
What are dishwasher place settings?
This term refers to how many sets of dishes, cutlery and glasses an appliance can clean at once. For example, if you had nine people for dinner, you’d need a dishwasher with a place setting of nine to get everything sparkling clean with one cycle (excluding pots and pans).
One place setting should allow room for:
- One large dinner plate
- One small plate
- One cup
- One saucer
- One bowl
- One drinking glass
- Cutlery: a knife, fork, dessert spoon, and teaspoon
Common dishwasher settings:
Unlike other home appliances such as washing machines and tumble dryers, dishwashers have minimal settings. Most, if not all, will have a standard cycle but there are a few other settings that are worth checking out:
- Normal: This option is ideal for daily use. It will remove standard dirt and food stains with water at 60-65C.
- Eco: On this cycle, it’ll run for longer but will use less water than a normal or intensive cycle, typically using 50-55C water. This option is great for crockery that isn’t that dirty
- Intensive: Perfect for baked-on food as the water temperature will be higher. It’ll also give the inside of the dishwasher a good clean.
- Delicate: Best for glassware and delicate china as the water temperature will be lower than normal.
- Quick wash: Great option for when you are in a rush and the dishes aren’t too dirty. The temperature will be the same as on a normal wash (60-65C).
- Hygiene: This option is best for things that need sterilising, such as baby items or chopping boards. This programme will wash at a high temperature.
Features to look out for:
Take a look at some of the useful functionalities that you’ll come across as you shop around for your new appliance:
- Child lock: This is an additional safety feature that you’ll find on many models. A dishwasher will have extremely hot water, depending on the cycle, plus access to sharp objects such as knives. We would recommend getting a dishwasher with a child lock setting if you have young children.
- Delay start: With this feature, you can easily set your dishwasher to start cleaning at a specified time. Delay start can ensure that the cycle starts at a time when your house doesn’t need hot water for something else.
- Smart technology: Many modern dishwashers offer smart technology that allows you to stop, start or activate a delayed start from your phone with Wi-Fi connectivity. Plus, certain models enable you to keep track of energy usage and receive alerts when detergent is getting low.
- Adjustable racks: These let you reconfigure the interior of your dishwasher, giving you the freedom to customize the configuration of your washer to suit the size of your dishes.
Think you're ready to buy a new dishwasher? At Appliance Supermarket, we offer a range of big name brands such as Bosch, Hotpoint, Indesit, Beko and Siemens. Check out our range dishwashers here.
Here at Appliance Supermarket, we offer FREE delivery on appliances over £250. Learn more about our delivery services here.
We also have a friendly team of fitters here help get your new appliance up and running. Learn more about our installation services here.